5th Annual Help the Homeless Walk and 5k Honors Veterans
2011 Help The Homeless Walk & 5KHonors Dallas’ Homeless Veterans
Benefitting The Bridge, Dallas’ Homeless Assistance Center
Thousands of walkers and runners will put their soles into ending homelessness at the 5th Annual Help the Homeless Walk & 5K. This year’s event will honor our homeless veterans. There are many veterans in the homeless population who access services at The Bridge, which supports Veterans Affairs Outreach Offices on site. Approximately 20% of Dallas’ homeless population is veterans.
The November 12th event will also feature a concert by Emerald City, Dallas/Fort Worth’s favorite party band. In addition, there will be other activities that are fun for the entire family including food, interactive games and more. Proceeds from this year’s Walk and 5K will be used to support The Bridge, a multi-purpose facility based on a unique Public-Private Partnership dedicated to serving homeless men and women. The Bridge provides a continuum of care developed to engage people experiencing homelessness in emergency and transitional care and transition them into appropriate housing.
Some fun facts to share, including a special discount for Veterans!
- In honor of our homeless veterans, the 4th Air Wing Honor Guard, Texas State Guard, will present colors.
- The Patriot Guard will lead off both the walk and 5K with their motorcycles in a show of support of our troops.
- Slappy and Monday will make a special appearance! They will be joined by their good clown friend, Kelly.
- Good food including Campisi’s pizza, Tiff’s Treats cookies, My Fit Foods, Clif Bars, Powerade, Community Coffee and more!
- Music from Emerald City, Dallas/Fort Worth’s favorite band
- Fun activities for families including face painting, musical chairs, crafts and more!
- Receive a cool, military themed t-shirt
- For a $10 discount, enter VETFAMS during checkout at the Discount Code box
- Last day to register online is November 10.
- Can’t make the run, you can still donate online at www.HelpTheHomelessDallas.org
The Help the Homeless Walk & 5K serves as the public kick-off of Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance’s Help the Homeless Week, November 11 – 17. The week includes several events and activities to raise awareness and financial support for The Bridge and concludes with a breakfast on November 17 at Dallas’ new Omni Convention Center Hotel. For more information, visit www.mdhadallas.org.