Beating the Spring Break Blues- Kid Friendly Ideas For the Week
It’s Spring Break!! Which means kids at home. Which means bored kids at home. Which means crazy mom (or dad) with bored kids at home. Sigh. But there’s plenty to do in DFW and right in your very own home! Here are a few ideas from Dr. Jamie Hurst DeLuna:
1. Explore your house for the ingredients to a masterpiece – there are plenty of items in your very own home that can be used for art projects! Use q-tips and old toothbrushes to create unique texturized paintbrushes. Glue cotton balls to paper to create clouds or snow. Toilet paper rolls can become great kazoos with wax paper and a rubber band- the possibilities are endless!
2. Head to the ZOO! Both Dallas and Fort Worth have fantastic zoos, and what better time than now?! At the Dallas Zoo, drop in for a day of Spring Break camp ($40/day) and check out Animal Foodies or Habitat Heroes! At the Fort Worth Zoo, ride the train or check out the interactive Playbarn!
3. Get out the ‘old’ toys – You know the toys you’ve put away in closets, the garage, the attic? Get them out this week. They’ll feel like new again to your kids (and you)!
4. Get a library card – If you aren’t already a frequent library visitor, there’s no better time to become one. Bonus: It’s FREE! You can check out books, DVDs, and CDs. Many local libraries also offer story times and other programs for children.
5. Have a garage sale – It’s time for spring cleaning anyway, right, why not make a little money in the process?! Plus, a garage sale is an excellent opportunity to teach your children about organization and money management.