Gluten Free Mothers Day Brunch Pancake Recipe
Mother’s Day, breakfast in bed, a single rose on a beautiful tray… myth or reality?
I don’t think I have ever been served breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day but I have been made breakfast. Being gluten free for over 20 years means I didn’t eat a lot of pancakes, muffins, scones and other wheat-filled products. The gluten free versions never seemed to taste as good. Fortunately, as more and more people are following a gluten free diet, the food industry is producing more and more options and they are getting tastier all the time. Chefs are getting more creative, there are numerous gluten free websites and cookbooks out there to help us enjoy some old standards like the blueberry pancake recipe in this post. My sister-in-law gave me the beautiful cookbook, Gluten Free and Easy, a couple of years ago for Christmas and it has a variety of tasty recipes. My daughter loves to cook for me so she has promised to make me these pancakes for Mother’s Day.
Gluten Free Pancakes with Blueberries
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2-3/4 cup milk or rice milk
- 1 generous teaspoon apple sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl place the light corn syrup, oil, egg, 1/2 cup of the milk, apple sauce and vanilla and mix with a hand blender until frothy.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, adding the rest of the milk as needed to make a smooth pouring batter. Place tablespoons of batter into a heated frying pan and cook until bubbles appear on top. Flip the pancakes and cook the other side.
- Serve the pancakes with fresh blueberries and blueberry sauce or that perennial favorite: pure maple syrup.
Makes about 12 pancakes.
For another great Mother’s Day brunch idea, check out our gluten free quiche recipe.