Low Fat Recipes: Zenaidas Quiche
Quick and healthy crustless quiche recipe
by Cari Coulter
¾ cup egg beaters
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ cup fat-free cheddar cheese shredded
1 ½ cup fat-free mozzarella cheese shredded
1-8 ounce can green chilies, chopped
½ cup chunky salsa, medium
salt and pepper
non-fat cooking spray
1. Spray an 8- or 9-inch glass pan with non-fat spray.
2. In a bowl combine egg beaters, milk, and flour. Beat well until smooth.
3. Combine cheeses and green chilies into milk mixture.
4. Spoon a small amount of drained salsa on bottom of pie pan and spread around. This will help keep quiche from sticking.
5. Ladle half of the cheese and milk mixture over salsa. Spoon remaining salsa over this layer then top with remaining cheese-milk mixture.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, until set and puffy.
7. Top with reserved cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes till melted.
Serve with salsa and fat-free sour cream if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Cari Coulter RD, LD, Program Director Wellspring Wisconsin. Cari is a registered dietitian and previously served as Wellspring New York’s nutrition instructor during the 2006-2008 summer seasons. She graduated with honors from Miami University with a BA in psychology and a minor in nutrition and completed her dietetic coursework at NYU’s Steinhardt Graduate School before heading to the University of Houston for her dietetic internship. She has since worked in both clinical and corporate health environments, but has happily returned to Wellspring to serve as the Wisconsin Camp’s director. During the rest of the year she resides in Katy, Texas with her husband Dave and yellow lab Gabe.